Study and Apply God’s Word
1. So many enjoy the writing style of the 17th century Elizabethan English King James Version, however, it can sometimes be difficult to understand. It is essential that you find a Bible version that you can understand such as The Message, Amplified, The Living Bible, New King James Version, and New International Version, etc., are just a few good translations that you can select.
2. The Bible has so many life lessons that you will learn as you read and study your selected passages of scripture. Feel free to jot down side notes, underline, highlight key scriptures that inspire, encouraged and even corrected you of error. This will help make the word God personal for you. Also marking certain passages in your Bible will assist you more readily when you need them.
3. The Holy Spirit is The Master Teacher and He reveals to you what He hears from Jesus. As you prepare to read your Bible, ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and help you understand what you are reading, so that you can apply in your life what you have read. John 14:26 John 16:7 Psalms 119:18
4. As you are reading the word of God there may be words that you come across that need more clarity. Having other resources such as a concordance or dictionary will assist you during those times.
5. Carefully consider how the passages of scripture apply to you personally and to the situations you are facing. 2 Timothy 3:16 Psalm 119:105, 111
6. Compile a “Scripture Journal” with different topics, such as relationships, faith, love, healing, finances, etc., and every time you find a scripture on a certain subject, record it in its appropriate place. 2 Timothy 3:14-16
7. Decree and declare the blessings of God over every area of your life — health, mind, problems, money, family, relationships, business, future, etc. Job: 22:28
8. Think about God’s Word and speak it to yourself on a consistent basis. This is called “meditating on God’s word.” Joshua 1:8 Psalm 119:97
9. Accept God’s Word as final authority. He makes everything beautiful in time. Enjoy your spiritual journey. Run your race with grace as life is not a sprint; it’s a marathon. There are a lot of things that you will discover that will amaze you as you are diligently reading the word of God. Final words of wisdom…don’t compare yourselves to others, be content right where you are. Ecclesiastes 3:1-15 Ecclesiastes 9:11 Philippians 4:11-13 Philippians 1:6